18 April 2011

A bit of Jeep nostalgia

I was treated to a small bit of nostalgia last week, writes Brian Byrne.

At the European launch of the revised range of Jeep vehicles for this side of the Atlantic, they had a number of models on show going back through the 70 years since the brand was born.

Among them a 1949 Jeep Station Wagon. Four wheel drive, of course, because that was Jeep's forte. But it was the model that brought back the memories.

My dad and his brother had one of these each when I was around six. They often bought the same car, and this one must have seemed quite exotic to the other residents of the small village where we lived.

In one sense, why the memory stuck was because it was the car in which I had my first experience of a car accident.

On the way to Courtown for the annual family holiday, we stopped for petrol in Shillelagh. Another motorist backed into the side of the Jeep, making a dent in it.

Sixty years later I can still feel the hurt as I cried over the fact that somebody had dented my Daddy's car.

Maybe even then I had leanings towards a love of things automotive?

Whatever, being able to touch and feel and sit in a perfectly preserved Jeep Station Wagon once again was as much a highlight of the event as were the three modern models I drove on and off road last week.