18 September 2014

First drive in Jeep's funky Renegade

When the Jeep Renegade SUV comes to Ireland towards the summer of next year, it will offer a funky and practical small SUV under the iconic brand's name for the first time, writes Brian Byrne.

Although Irish prices won't be announced until closer to launch here, the Jeep people here in Balocco, Italy, told us today that it will sell for under €20,000 in most European markets.

The car will be available in Europe with 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines, and 1.6 and 2.0 diesels, those latter of primary interest in the Irish context. There will be FWD, AWD, and a go-anywhere TrailHawk version with all the technology needed to do so.

As their first time with an offering in the small SUV segment, one with strong growth potential, Jeep are expecting a strong response from buyers who want to be in a brand that only produces SUVs, at a compact car price.

As I write, I've just driven the 2WD variant on a range of motorways, quiet country roads, and a stretch of cranky gravel and potholed off-piste rutted lane. The 4WD one comes next, after a dash of espresso.

First thoughts are very positive. I think already I could live with this and enjoy it. I wasn't 100 metres down the road on my first drive before I was thinking, 'I want one'. That's a good start.

More later.