|A typical view in the Wicklow Mountains|
The survey, carried out by Continental Tyres showed the Wicklow Mountains as the number one choice of 26 percent of drivers. The Killarney National Park in Co Kerry and the Burren in Co Clare were the second and third most favourite destinations for a drive outing for 22 and 20 percent of drivers respectively.
The survey also found most drivers (24 percent) would prefer to go for a visit to the seaside as part of a drive outing. The next most popular activities were going for a mountain drive and stopping off for a nice lunch!
Most drivers said that Ireland's changeable climate doesn't deter them from getting out onto the road.
The 'Drives of Ireland' survey was carried out to highlight the launch of The Continental Road Trip guide (ContinentalRoadTrip.com) which is made up of 12 scenic drive routes across areas of outstanding natural beauty in the UK and Ireland and encourages drivers to put their skills to the test.
Also featured is the eerie Dark Hedges drive in Co Antrim, along with a range of other drives across England, Wales and Scotland.
Tom Dennigan of Continental Tyres Ireland, says "With our Continental Road Trip campaign and the guide to the top 12 best drives across Ireland and the UK, we want motorists to recognise the enjoyment of driving.
"It's great that even though there are factors like car costs, road rage and traffic queues that will affect how much we like to drive, our recent survey has found the majority of Irish motorists enjoy being behind the wheel. We want to ensure that people keep the fun in driving, but most importantly, stay safe on the road."
The full list of road trips featured in the Continental Tyres guide are:
* A82 Glencoe - Lanarkshire and Dunbarton, Scotland
* The Wild Atlantic Way - Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork
* Black Mountain Pass - Powys and Monmouthshire, Wales
* Buttertubs Pass - Yorkshire, England
* The Evo Triangle - Denbighshire, Conwy and Gwynedd, Wales
* A686 from Penrith to Haydon Bridge - Cumbria and Northumberland, England
* The Snake Pass - Cheshire and Yorkshire, England
* The Dark Hedges - County Antrim, Northern Ireland
* Cheddar Gorge - Somerset, England
* The Wicklow Mountains - Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford and Dublin
* Abergwesyn Pass - Powys, Wales
* Bealach Na Ba - Wester Ross, Scotland
To celebrate the Continental Road Trip campaign, Continental Tyres will give away one free night at a hotel near one of the selected drive routes with every pair of tyres purchased from Advance Pitstop outlets and selected quality tyre retailers across Ireland, so that people can begin to plan their very own road trip.
*The survey of 300 Irish drivers was carried out by a mix of face-to-face interviews and a web-based survey form.