10 April 2019

Review: Mercedes-Benz B-Class

I was reminded of an early driving experience during my recent week with the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class, writes Brian Byrne. In the early 60s my uncle, also godfather, bought a new Triumph 2000. He allowed me drive it occasionally, and the first time I was totally blown away by the smoothness and acceleration of this 6-cylinder luxury compact car. It wasn't particularly powerful by today's standards, with a mere 90hp available, but nevertheless gave me a wonderful sense of being in something special.

There is no comparison, of course, between that car of 55 years ago and today's latest B-Class. But somehow in the first few kilometres down the road, it gave me that same feeling. Maybe it was the compact size, maybe the very satisfying acceleration. Whatever, it boded well for my time with the Merc.


It's the third generation of what M-B describes as a sports compact tourer, fancy for MPV originally but in the latest incarnation it has more of a sleek hatchback look. It doesn't have the groundbreaking sexiness of that old 2000 either, but there's much to like about a quiet elegance, especially in the AMG-Line spec of the review car.

The interior from my perspective is possibly the best version so far of incorporating the MBUX multimedia system and main instruments in any of the recent models. Clean, comprehensive, and after you have gotten the hang of navigating through it, it can provide an awful lot of information. The colours, the graphics, and the clarity are quite exceptional.

But I absolutely hate the 'trackpad' method of navigating through it, on the centre console. Much more suitable, if at all, for a right-handed driver in a LHD setup. For me it wasn't easy to use without being quite distracted, which particularly makes it a no-no. Touch sensitive navigation on the steering wheel was somewhat less of a hassle, but still not the best.

Nothing wrong, though, can be said about the comfort of the car and the excellent driver's position that can be achieved. The AMG-themed ambience adds considerably to the good feeling, though you're paying around €4,600 for that privilege. Some extra too for the grained aluminium trim on the dash and doors, but well worth it for the added sense of special.

The leather seats are sporty but not too heavily bolstered as to make entry and egress awkward. Ample room in the rear is a given with the car's style, and even the optional panoramic roof didn't intrude.

The review car had lots of semi-automated driving techs, including the active lane-keeping assist that I can comfortably do without. The good rear camera was welcome — in a competing brand recently I was very surprised not to have one.

The engine in the car was a 1.3 petrol outputting a handy 136hp, and the 9s sprint to 100km/h actually felt quite faster. The automatic is a 7-speed dual clutch, and took a short time of getting used to smooth takeoff compared to a traditional automatic. Otherwise though, shifts were smooth and well matched to whatever way I felt like driving.

The B-Class suits me better than the A-Class, being that bit larger without being large. Now that it has a much smarter look, I would quite like it for myself if I was in the market. The format is for a more active lifestyle than are the next-level saloons.

But I'd need some other option than that trackpad.

PRICE: Form €34,395, review car €42,646. WHAT I LIKED: The perfect fit. RATING: 3++/5 (would have been more without the trackpad).