25 January 2011

Road Test: SEAT Leon 1.6 TDI

What a difference a new engine and 15hp more makes, writes Brian Byrne.

Volkswagen has had this new 1.6 diesel since a year or so ago. First in its own brand Golf and Polo, and fairly quickly moved through Skoda and Audi. It was only a matter of time before Seats got it under the hood. And quite simply, it transformed every model they transplanted it into.

Last week I found the time to take the Leon with the 105hp 1.6 TDI through its paces. By now I knew the engine pretty well, so I was expecting good things.

I wasn't disappointed.

I always liked the Leon. It's the sexy twin of the Golf. Same platform. Same running gear. Same strong finish. Same fine handling dynamics. Totally more stylish shaping of metal.

Leon is sleek. Right, in its current shape it has been around for a fair while now, but it is holding its attraction well. There are interesting details: the proportions of the 'S' in the grille, the idea of recessing the wipers in the windscreen pillars instead of the scuttle.

Very practical that last, actually. Especially after a snowfall or heavy frost. They're easier to free. And I think they clear a greater area of glass on both sides of the screen.

I like the interior. It’s comfortable, if not exciting. In the review version there was a nice bit of metal-style finish around the centre stack and the instrument cluster, which brightened things. The instruments themselves have been subtly improved, and offer an easy review of what’s cooking, with white on black. I don’t like the night-time treatment of the heating/audio systems, because dull red is not right for anyone whose eyes are over 40 and therefore a tad more long-sighted.

(In this situation, the red end of the spectrum is quite fuzzy compared to blue, which makes Volkswagens much nicer places to be at night.)

The seats are good, and I have used them over very long distance to prove that. There’s also plenty of room in the rear even behind long-legged people up front. This is in some way thanks to a relatively shorter boot area, but nothing that causes problems.

The ride in Seats seems to me to be a bit on the softer side than in equivalent VW models, though it might be my imagination. Even if it is, I like it, that it doesn’t compromise any handling dynamics at this relatively light end of the power options in the Leon.

Bottom line is, if I was in this market, the Leon would easily be my choice over the Golf. Not at all a dissing of the German car, but simply on a looks basis.

Leons start at around €18,500, and you can still order the 1.9 diesel version at around €20,000. My advice is to go the extra €1,500 for this 1.6 TDI.