29 September 2011

First View: Chrysler Delta



I got a chance this week to spend a couple of days with the new Chrysler Delta, not yet launched in Ireland, writes Brian Byrne.

The car is born of the new Fiat-Chrysler alliance, and is a rebadged Lancia Delta. It is being sold as a Chrysler only on the UK and Ireland. Why, we don't know, but it may be that the Chrysler brand has more resonance and sales appeal in these markets because Lancia has been gone from them for most of two decades.

The Delta is a truly distinctive car, smart in style, and much bigger inside than it looks. The interior finish and trim in the car I drove was to high quality, and only a typical Lancia quirk in the driving position caused me thought. It wasn't really a problem, but might for shorter legged drivers.

A C segment offering, the Delta will come to market before the end of October as a niche option to the likes of VW's Golf and Ford's Focus.

The differences between it and the Lancia model sold across continental Europe are just badges, with the grille requiring a slightly more significant modification at the top.

The car I drove was powered by a 120hp 1.6 diesel, a powertrain we have experienced already in Alfa and Fiat models. It is a willing and plucky performer and is well chosen for the car. I enjoyed it particularly on some of the twistier roads around my County Kildare.

Prices haven't yet been revealed, and a competitive number here will be crucial for success in Ireland.

I'll be driving it properly in a few weeks and we'll engage with it more. But already I like it.