17 April 2019

Jaguar I-PACE is 2019 World Car of the Year


The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE completed an historic treble at the 2019 World Car Awards ceremony held today at the New York International Auto Show, writes Trish Whelan.

The I-PACE took three award categories: the overall 2019 World Car of the Year, the 2019 World Green Car and the 2019 World Car Design of the Year. 

Prof Dr Ralf Speth, Chief Executive Officer, Jaguar Land Rover said: “It is an honour that the Jaguar I-PACE has received these three accolades from the prestigious World Car jurors.

“We started with an ideal, to move towards our Destination Zero vision; zero emissions, zero accidents and zero congestion. This car is our first step to achieving this and it was conceived when electric vehicles were little more than a niche choice.

“So we started from a clean sheet of paper to create a new benchmark - the world’s best premium electric vehicle, and a true Jaguar driver’s car.”

Ian Callum, Jaguar Director of Design said: “Designing Jaguar cars is probably the best job in the world and I can honestly say that no other project I’ve worked on has been as rewarding as I-PACE.”

I-PACE was chosen from an initial entry list of 40 vehicles in the World Car of the Year award category, then a short list of three finalists - the Audi e-tron, and the Volvo S60/V60 being the two others.

The Audi A7 was crowned 2019 World Luxury Car while the McLaren 720S took the 2019 World Performance Car gong; the Suzuki Jimny was the Urban Car winner. The Jimny will not go on sale here in Ireland.