23 February 2018

VW's electric autonomous concept for Geneva

This will be Volkswagen's latest take on the future of the car, on display next month at the Geneva Motor Show, writes Brian Byrne.

The I.D. Vizzion Concept brings together electric drive and autonomous driving, with a 'digital chauffeur' which will manage all the driver assistance systems that eventually will provide a self-driving car.

The fourth member of the I.D. concepts, the 5.1-metre long car is concepted as an MPV, with dual electric motors providing AWD as well as a range of up to 665km in suitable circumstances.

Under current plans, Volkswagen says it will launch the I.D. electric car in the compact class in 2020. This will be followed, at short intervals, by a new electric SUV – the I.D. Crozz – and the I.D. Buzz which is an MPV.